What Is a Motherboard and Why Is It Important?
One of the critical aspects of the computer is the motherboard. It makes communications between all modules that are connected to the system. There are a few integrated modules on the motherboard, such as the CMOS, the BIOS, the chipset, and the system bus. It also has some ports and sockets.
The motherboard’s design and size are regarded as form factors. For motherboards, the form factor serves as a guiding norm and defines where particular components match, the power supply, and the case type.
It is essential to choose the right type of motherboard for your processor, and keeping in mind the number of motherboards currently available in the market, we know how difficult it can get to choose the right one. But don’t fret, as we have got you covered. Read on to find out about the best gaming motherboards for i9 9900k.
Difference between a Normal Motherboard and a Gaming Motherboard
A gaming motherboard’s characteristics and a conventional one go far past the applications for operating the motherboard. A gaming one may be more powerful and can have additional features. Some of them are:
- A gaming motherboard supports CPUs that are unlocked.
- A gaming motherboard supports the overclocking feature too. Overclocking is useful when running several programs, especially those that need additional operating energy.
- A gaming motherboard supports up to 32 or even 64 GB of RAM, while a traditional one only supports up to 16 GB of memory.
- Moreover, unlike a standard motherboard, a liquid cooler is used with a gaming one. To lower the computer’s temperature, the liquid cooler uses a loop loaded with coolant. Along with the motherboard, the coolant flows smoothly and decreases the heat level.
What Factors Should You Consider When Choosing the Best Motherboard for i9 9900k Processor?
As discussed above, choosing the right motherboard for your processor is a critical task. However, there are certain things that you have to keep in mind when narrowing down your options. Some of them are:
It is one of the required and most significant elements that impact the overall output of your computers. The more software you run on your machine, the more RAM you would require. The least memory storage you would need for a gaming motherboard is 8 GB, but we do not recommend that we go for at least 16 GB to provide enough space for potential updates. Many users even prefer above 64 GB RAM, but that is mainly for future-proofing.
Form factor refers to the size, configuration, and requirements of the physical or hardware devices. A motherboard comes in four major categories: micro ATX, mini ATX, standard ATX, and Extended ATX. The most widely used is the regular ATX one since it offers extra slots for future improvising.
The Peripheral Component Interconnect, known as PCIe slots, is the standard motherboard interface for connecting modules such as SSDs, WIFI and Bluetooth cards, and GPUs. Motherboards are fitted with PCIe slots in different amounts. PCIe x 16 slots shift 16 bits per cycle, giving a gaming PC a faster experience.
Top 6 Best Gaming Motherboards for i9 9900k Processors Ratings
Amongst the most trusted brands for gaming PCs and their parts, high shines the name of this Taiwanese brand, MSI. Its promise to deliver a holistic solution to all challenges and issues related to gaming with reliability and performance has gained many happy permanent customers.
MSI MEG GODLIKE Z390 is one of the highest selling products of MSI. Having dimensions of 12 x 10.7 x 1.2 inches and weighing just 4.30 pounds, this product is known to support up to 128 GB of memory. It comes in the form factor of extended ATX and has a chipset of Z390 Intel. For the price it is available in the market and looking at the features it offers, this is an excellent pick for beginners and professionals alike. It also comes with a pre-installed I/O shield and built-in WIFI. It also provides a great audio system, the type that is preferred by gamers the most.
- 4 memory slots available
- RAM technology supported is DDR4
- Has 2 Gigabit LAN of E2500
- Offers built-in WIFI of AC 1550
- The form factor is of extended ATX
- Intel Z390 chipset
- Availability of 4 PCIe slots of 3.0 x 16
- RGB lights and OLED display offers an aesthetic look
- I/O shielding comes installed pre hand
- Not very acceptable after purchase customer service
- Have to buy special connectors to get the lights to work
It supports 8th generation and 9th i5 9600k, i7 9700k, and i9 9900k Intel Core/ Pentium Gold/ Celeron processor for 1151 socket LGA.
RAM: As mentioned in the comparison table, this motherboard can support up to 128 GB, and RAM technology is DDR4. There are 4 memory slots available in this motherboard, making it a perfect bargain product.
Through its creative and realistic gadgets and computer parts, Gigabyte strives to “upgrade your life.” Never sacrificing results and always delivering goods suitable for today’s needs and making the future more practical and available.
This Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme comes with the dimensions of 15 x 12.25 x 5.08 inches and weighs 2.99 pounds. It is known to support up to 10000 Tb of memory, making it a perfect buy for those who want to have more space for future upgrading and proofing. It comes in the form factor of extended ATX. It also has an excellent cooling system and a unique and innovative cooling feature that is the Smart Fan 5 feature.
- Availability of 4 memory slots
- Supports RAM technology of DDR4
- It has a feature of Smart Fan 5 for cooling purposes
- Audio level is up to the mark and perfect for gamers
- Aesthetic and pleasing look
- Pre-installed I/O
- Groundbreaking thermal architecture to ensure reliability and reduced heat.
- Though relatively cheaper than others out there in the market, it is still expensive considering the features that it has to offer.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme is perfectly compatible with Intel core 8th and 9th generation processors, which means that it will support your i9 9900k processor.
RAM: With the ability to support up to 10000 TB, this motherboard is already on our favourite list. Its memory speed is 4400 MHz. The RAM technology is DDR4, and there is an availability of 4 memory slots.
We couldn’t resist adding yet another gigabyte product to the list of our top picks because of the numerous features it has to offer for its available price.
This Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra comes with 13.58 x 11.57 x 3.14 inches and weighs 3.00 pounds. This product is also known to support up to 10000 TB of memory, making it future-proof and allowing more space for updates, making it a perfect fit for gamers and professionals. Having a unique cooling system with an integrated thermal interface doesn’t worry you about CPUs overheating. Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra provides 12 + 1 VRM configuration capacity that provides the parts upon this motherboard cleaned power delivery.
- Offers availability of 4 memory slots
- Supports RAM technology of DDR4
- 1151 LGA type CPU socket
- 440 MHZ is the memory speed that is supports
- The integrated thermal interface of advanced heat pipe with direct contact
- Cool exterior to enhance your PCs look
- Intel Optane is pre-ready for memory
- Supported by Crossfire and SLI
- Other products offer the same features for relatively lower prices in the market, which turns out to be a significant setback.
This Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra seems to be entirely compliant with both 9th and 8th generation processors of Intel core, which ensures that your i9 9900k processor will suit it.
RAM: Having the potential to store up to 10000 TB of memory and supporting the RAM technology of DDR4, this motherboard is perfect for those looking for future-proofing. It also offers the availability of 4 memory slots.
ASUS is another Taiwanese brand that manufactures hardware and computer parts that are sturdy, durable, versatile, and inexpensive. Though cheap, ASUS has never compromised the product quality, making it one of the best PC components out there in the market.
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula comes with 14.57 x 4.25 x 12.28 inches and weighs around 7.35 pounds, which is relatively heavy compared to the other ones. This product is known to support up to 64 GB, which should be enough for gamers and near future-proofing. It allows space for modifications and runs applications smoothly. Besides, it is recommended for beginners too due to its easy installation method. It also had an I/O pre-installed shield and headers for targeted water cooling.
- Offers availability of 4 memory slots
- RAM technology of DDR4
- For improved stability of DRAM overclocking, there is a feature of ASUS Optic Mem II
- Great looks and performance
- Perfect for beginners too due to its easy installation procedure
- I/O pre-installed shield guarantees streamlined assembly
- Headers for targeted water cooling
- Again, we believe that the prices at which this product is available are a bit more than its competitors’ cost.
- Bandwidth is split among storage
Built for Intel Core processors of the 9th and 8th generation, this motherboard will work perfectly fine with your i9 9900k processor.
RAM: Having the ability to store up to 64 GB of memory and supporting the RAM technology of DDR4, this motherboard offers the opportunity for near future-proofing.
We are back with yet another Gigabyte product and trust us, we couldn’t help it. This company never stops to amaze us with its high quality and affordable products.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro comes with 13.18 x 10.62 x 3.14 inches and weighs 4.0 perfectly acceptable pounds. By supporting the memory of up to 128 GB and RAM technology of DDR4. It makes itself future proof while ensuring a smooth gaming experience. With a digital VRM process of 12 + 2 and a unique cooling system, this product is a perfect buy for those looking for great features at a reasonable price.
- 4 memory slots available
- DDR4 type RAM technology supported
- LG 1551 CPU sockets
- Developed thermal system of water cooling and heat pipes
- WIMA capacitors for audio with the microphone
- Gigabit Intel LAN
- Digital VRM Process of 12 + 2
- Available at reasonable price
- You will need to use a form of PCI card if you choose to add wireless WIFI.
It supports Intel Core processors of the 8th and 9th generations, which means it is compliant with your i9 9900k processor.
RAM: It supports memory up to 128 GB. It also offers NON- EC unbuffered DDR4 dual channels and 4 DIMMs.
Another of the ASUS product, for this company never fails to amaze us with its products. Not only are their products reliable and durable but they also have a great built quality which ultimately makes them the first choice of people shopping for personal computers or its gadgets.
This product, though expensive, promises to be worthy of the investment made on it. It has a 5 – way overclocking optimization and an excellent cooling system. It also comes pre equipped with I/O shield to ease the process of installation, making it perfect to be used by beginners too. It also comes with protection of DRAM overcurrent. Not just the interior, it also has a really aesthetic and pleasing exterior too.
- 2 memory slots available
- RAM technology of DDR4 supported
- 1151 LGA CPU sockets
- 5-way optimization is known for intelligent overclocking
- It doesn’t support Crossfire or LSI
- Many users experienced RGB lights issue
It supports Intel Core processors of the 9th and 8th generation, including your i9 9900k processor.
RAM: It supports up to 64 GB of memory and RAM technology of DDR4. Also, there are 2 memory slots available for use in this motherboard
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How to decide which gaming motherboard to choose?
We understand it can be a difficult task to choose the right motherboard. In this article, we have mentioned a few points to look out for; however, it mainly depends upon you. We suggest making a list containing both necessary features and additional features. Choose the motherboard that caters to all your necessities, yet a few of those additional ones are not much of a burden on your pocket.
2. How to be sure that both the CPU and motherboard are compatible?
For this purpose, you might want to look at your CPU and see what types of chipsets and sockets are compatible with it. It will help you determine if your motherboard and CPU are compatible or not.
3. Is it possible to change the processor without changing the motherboard?
Yes, of course, as long as the processor is plugged into the motherboard and not welded in it. But remember to get a processor compatible with the socket of your motherboard.
4. Can new processors be used on old motherboards?
Every other CPU has a particular type of socket with which it can be used. If the specific processor has the same kind of sockets as the one it is being replaced with, yes, you can!
Selecting the correct type of motherboard is crucial for the overall better performance of your PC. Here in this article, we have mentioned the top 6 gaming motherboards, each having the best qualities and features; however, if we were to choose one out of these 6, it would be MSI MEG GODLIKE Z390. It is packed with mind-blowing features and is available at quite reasonable prices, giving it an edge over its competitors. We hope you love it as much as we do!