Outdoor cameras are just as important as indoor cameras. In fact, for some people, they may even hold more significance. In an era of growing uncertainty and crime rates, it is vital to keep home/property safe and sound by keeping a vigilant check on what’s happening outside.
Don’t let any stranger stalk around your house. You can very easily deter them from doing something criminal by the employment of the right outdoor home-security cameras. Strategic placement of these cameras can ensure the homeowner’s peace of mind.
This article comprehensively discusses 5 top-rated outdoor home security cameras for the year 2020. These cameras are smart, having all the relevant and desired features and elements to keep your home safe from both inside and outside.
Your Perfect Guide to The Best Wireless Outdoor Home Security Cameras!
If you are looking for a perfect outdoor home security camera, then you do not want to miss the following outdoor security cameras on your list. Read about these cameras here to make an informative and lifelong satisfactory decision:
The Wireless Rechargeable Battery Powered Wi-Fi Camera enjoys the privilege of being the top choice and most recommended outdoor home-security for the year. Its features and qualities make it one of the best outdoor home security cameras in the market.
The Wireless Rechargeable Battery Powered Wi-Fi Camera possesses several promising features such as Day/Night Vision, Motion Detection, is cordless and has a Two-way Audio System.
- Sound quality is good
- Easy to install and use
- High-resolution camera (good picture quality)
- Provides complete protection of your home
- Long standby time
- Good battery life
- Reliable product
- Poor lens – the focus is not good.
- Images tend to be grainy at times
- Return duration is very short
- Slow and lagging motion detection
IP65 Weatherproof: The IP Camera has been tested and it can endure extreme weather conditions. Whether it is sunshine, snow, rain, storm, or hail–it can work in the most adverse and favorable conditions.
The Heimvision HM241 1080P Wireless Security Camera is also one of the best-selling outdoor cameras. It has notable features such as a hassle-free connection, remote access on a smart device, wall/ceiling mounting, and motion detection.
This wireless security camera can detect motion and gives an email alert. It also has an infrared night vision, which again makes it an ideal camera.
- Easy setup
- Ease of use
- Good picture quality
- Compatible with many devices such as the iPhone and iPad.
- Excellent night vision
- HD picture is noticeably clear (high resolution)
- The hard drive needed for recording which is not included with the package
- Return cases for this product are too high.
IP66 Weatherproof Camera: Heimvision HM241 is an IP66 weatherproof camera that proves to be waterproof for durable houses. It can withstand almost any weather–be it rain, snow, or heat. The camera’s operating range lies from -4°F to 122°F (-20°C to 50°C).
The All-new Blink Outdoor Camera makes it very convenient to do home-monitoring, allows to communicate to visitors from anywhere, and alerts you on important updates. Moreover, this wireless camera works with Alexa.
It has a long-lasting battery life that can last for up to 2 years. It is also purpose-built and can very well endure all kinds of extreme weather conditions – these include rain, heat and snow.
To add on, as stated already, with this camera, you can hear and speak to visitors with a feature of live view and two-way audio features on the Blink app.
- Easy to set up and install
- No wiring/difficult connections required
- The app allows you to do everything.
- No monthly subscription (fees or contracts) required
- Has many features
- The entire system is reliant on a Wi-Fi connection.
- People who do not use many apps may find it challenging to adhere to the system’s app and hence hard to use
Infrared Night Vision: The All-New Blink Outdoor Camera has an infrared night vision, so you can conveniently and very easily monitor your home, be it day or night.
The Blink XT2 Outdoor/Indoor is an inexpensive 1080p camera that is cord-free and battery-powered. The 1080p HD video provides an unrestricted view of your entire house, with minimal blurring or any kind of distortion.
These cameras have built-in temperature sensors, night vision feature, on-board motion sensor, live view, motion recording and a two/way audio. They also possess low-light illumination.
- Considerably easy to use and setup
- Likable camera system
- Reliable product
- The audio capability is excellent.
- Free cloud storage
- Water-resistant system
- Compatible with most devices
- Motion can be slow/lagging.
- The return window has a very short duration.
- The weak mounting bracket that doesn’t last long.
Works With Alexa: This security camera system supports a voice control which implies that you can arm/disarm and also have access to system information with the Alexa voice command.
The Zmodo outdoor security camera works in all weather conditions (be it rain or snow) giving a view of 1080 Full HD. Further to this, you can playback anywhere with Zmodo cloud and it works with Alexa.
- Ease of use and setup
- The high-quality camera system
- Reasonably priced
- Product is reliable
- Simple interface
- All sections of the house (both indoors and outdoors) can be viewed clearly.
- Night photography is good.
- For multiple cameras installed in the house, all cameras need to be on the same network for complete functionality
- The user manual is very brief. It provides instructions once it has set the camera up, so it does not consider camera installation.
Alerts can be shared with loved ones: The Alerts in the Zmodo outdoor security camera system can be shared with close family members. Live videos can also be shared so that every family member receives notification for essential updates or moments. One of the qualities of Zmodo Outdoor Security Camera, which enables anyone to access the alert, is the feature of device compatibility. We can view these videos from anywhere at any given time with the help of iOS or Android cellphones and tablets. Web view can be used on the PC.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
1. Why are wireless home security cameras better than wired home security cameras?
Wireless home security cameras are preferred over wired security cameras for several reasons. While the final decision of deeming one better than the other relies solely on the consumer’s preference and may be subjective, wireless cameras tend to bring a lot of benefits.
Wireless cameras don’t require drilling the wall to hook the wires and then connect them with the system. Also, there is a little to no chance or risk of tripping over cables or a burglar harming the wires to save his life.
2. Is there any need for power in case of wireless home security cameras?
Traditionally, wireless home security camera systems were plugged into power outlets to ensure a smooth power supply. Today, advanced wireless security cameras require battery or solar panels.
This makes these cameras genuinely wireless.
3. Is Internet required for Wireless Home Security Camera Systems?
When it comes to wireless home security camera systems, internet is not necessarily needed. Speaking of cellular security cameras, they require 3G/4G network which can give you the privilege of remote live streaming without the internet.
If you install an all-in-one security camera at your home, they can connect with one another, depending on their proprietary network. These cameras can offer surveillance 24/7 for different remote locations such as a rural house or a farm.
Also, it is essential to note that without the facility of an Internet connection/cellular network, there is no access to any wired or a wireless CCTV camera remotely through either a PC or a smartphone.
4. Can you rely on wireless alarm systems?
Wireless alarm systems are not as much reliable as wired alarm systems. In case of installing the wireless security cameras with a strong Wi-Fi Facility, these security cameras can offer you with a reliable internet connection.
To further increase their reliability, some highly-rated security camera brands include some advanced security features such as WPA2-AES encryption, SSL encryption, and some other forms to protect the wireless home security camera from getting hacked or to avoid any such fraudulent events.
5. For how much duration do the batteries last in a wireless security camera?
The battery life in a wireless security camera differs from brand to brand. It may also depend on individual environmental settings and conditions. There are specific wireless security cameras that allow batteries lasting for 1-2 months only.
Other companies may include advanced features in the cameras, which allow the wireless security camera systems to have a battery life of up to 6 months.
6. How can you hard-wire a wireless security camera system?
In a few simple steps, you can easily hard-wire a wireless security camera system. To strike the balance of a wired security camera system and a wireless security camera system, we can follow the following steps. These steps will enable you to connect a Wi-Fi security camera to a truly wired CCTV camera system.
We can do this through two ways:
- Connect the PoE NVR directly with the Wi-Fi IP camera. This can be done via an Ethernet cable.
- Connect the camera, which shares the same router to which the NVR is connected.
Follow these steps for your ease:
- Sign into your NVR, then go to the IP channel.
- Click ‘Auto Add,’ then select ‘Scan’. This brings up all the cameras in the same LAN to show up on the list. (You can add as many cameras to the NVR depending on the channel numbers of these NVR).
- In case the password of the IP cameras is same up till now and all the cameras have sufficient channels, click ‘Apply’ to complete the process of adding new Wi-Fi IP cameras. (the password you enter for these IP cameras is known as the default password).
7. I live in a rented apartment. Is buying an outdoor home security camera necessary for me?
Rented apartments are just as prone to burglary and criminal activities as the owned apartments. Therefore, precautionary measures must be taken to prevent them under all costs.
If you are a renter, look for a company that caters to small apartments/properties. Also, since you cannot do drilling or wiring around the house, an outdoor wireless home-security camera would be the best choice for you.
So what is our ultimate word? Well, obviously, you would buy an outdoor home security camera according to your budget and needs/preferences. However, there are still one or two choices that you should keep in mind that would make the best outdoor home-security cameras for you, so you end up deciding beneficial for everyone in the long-run.
You can select a camera that is a perfect match to your home by just going through its features and whether it has compatibility with your home-devices or not.
Sure, you may choose a camera that meets all the required specifications and has the features you have wanted in a home camera. Still, if it’s not compatible with your iOS/Android, then you may not track movements in your home from a remote location. Therefore, take this into account as well.
Hence, to conclude, our final recommendation to you (bearing in mind the cost and all the relevant features) is that of Wireless Rechargeable Battery Powered Wi-Fi Camera. For anyone, this camera fulfils all the needs and will serve as an ideal outdoor home-security camera for years to come!